Thursday, May 29, 2008

Phool Chati Ashram

I was setting in the Ganga View restaurant that is a popular dive for travelers. There is nothing to describe the places where travelers get there food, and it is something like a place typically where a group of people get together and hangout on cushions on the floor. Sometimes there are tables in this opium den like atmosphere. The are usually called something like a place to chill. A lady comes up to me and asks to sit with me, and starts telling me how to use a Netty pot. She learned the correct way to blow her nose, and sometimes is you do this wrong you will get water into your inner ear. I ask her where she has learned this, and she says that she spent a couple of weeks doing a yoga training coarse at Phool Chati.


I am totally interested and drawn there. So there are tons of yoga programs in Rieshiekesh! You can do yoga practically anywhere around there...on the banks of the river...in a ashram...at a guest house...on the roof with a group of people. So Spencer and I are committed to spend a week doing yoga, meditation, chanting, and mediation hikes along the ganga. What I didn't realize about this ashram is it is the old school way of an ashram. This is not for the pamper me yoga type. We were up at 5:30am to do silent meditation by 6am, next is sinus cleansing with salt water and netty pots, back to the hall for pranayma breathing which is fast breathing that brings in the energy of the sun at this point of the morning, yoga for and hour and half, breakfast, mediation hiking/walking, lunch, this point try and fit in some reflection/washing/take a shower, satsang with the yoga teacher to ask questions, yoga, prayer, kirtan singing, dinner, mediation...wheeeeeewwwww! So I am surrounded by like minded individuals some keeping silence, and Spencer and I tring hard to keep silence after morning yoga.

In reflection of this wonderful place it taught me the issues around community. What it takes to create connection, and when to stay out of other peoples drama. The first group that we were apart of made it easy for me to realize that freedom and spontaneity that helps others to connect to spirit through connection with others. We were all committed to being apart of honest important communication with each other. In being silent I realized when it was important to say things, and when it was not. I find in my healing practice I am good at listing to when spirit wants me to speak, and when to not speak. It is different in a group of people that wants to talk just to fill the space..vs. the ones that only speak when something is important. Communication is an interesting thing for all of us!

In the end there are many good habits that I learned, but the ability to stay connected at all times is a constant struggle.

No comments: